We were lucky to catch up with Jeremy Kidd recently and have shared our conversation below.
Hi Jeremy, thanks for joining us today. We’d love to hear the backstory behind a risk you’ve taken – whether big or small, walk us through what it was like and how it ultimately turned out.
I had scheduled a meeting with the company Swire in Hong Kong (the second-largest privately held property corporation in the world owning large areas of Hong Kong & Cathy Pacific). I had wanted to shoot Hong Kong as it was dense with tall narrow buildings, surrounded by water, and had a fantastic cluster of lush hills in the middle of the island.
So I bought my ticket, spent a few days in Shanghai to shoot there too and arrived in Hong Kong for the meeting with the Executives and Art consultant of the company for a possible commission. This trip required me to finance it via my credit card. Flight, hotels all related expenses. The meeting went well so flew on to Sydney where I was able to add more photos and started the negotiations for the commission. These were successful so some months later I returned from LA to start the commission spending a week on various rooftops day and night to create one of my Day/Night compositions. Once completed I had viewed Hong Kong from various Swire owned buildings, having signed my life away for insurance purposes, hung over the edge of 50+ story office blocks and acquired nearly 5000 photos. From there I decided to meet an old in school friend who lived in Thailand 4 hours away where worked on the commission for the next 3 months! (Here I met wife) I ended up living in Thailand for 1.5 years and had an amazing introduction to the East, many works from the photographs and more than covered the expenses! It seems the Universe often rewards us when we are furthest out on edge and willing to commit whole heartily despite perceived risks and fears! Jumping into the unknown can be the only option!
As always, we appreciate you sharing your insights and we’ve got a few more questions for you, but before we get to all of that can you take a minute to introduce yourself and give our readers some of your back background and context?
British-born, Los Angeles-based Artist Jeremy Kidd innovatively approaches landscape photography. He combines sculptural elements and condenses up to 100 long exposure photographs into a single work. He believes this to be a more cohesive way of expressing a landscape pictorially. This enables him to combine different times of day/night into one piece. Exploring a scene for up to a week in each work. (Jeremy Kidd is the innovator of the Day/Night combined Photography)
“It seems unrealistic to expect a single photographic shot, a single moment in time, to convey the human experience of seeing. We visually explore our environment in the third and fourth dimensions as we build our personal visual journey” Jeremy Kidd
Perhaps the first artist/photographer to combine multiple photographs that transition from day to night, in one large-format panoramic vista.
Each of the following commissioned works has required visiting the location and photographing over a period of a week or two. This allows him to catch the location in all its changing light, weather and climate conditions. Then the photographs are condensed with photoshop over a period of 1-3 months. The resulting work represents an intimate portrait, an exclusive response to the client’s property and artistic vision.
WORKS HAVE BEEN REVIEWED BY PUBLICATIONS
New York Times
Los Angeles Times
New York Fine Arts Magazine,
The Observer Magazine, UK
Evening Standard Magazine, UK
Interior Design Magazine
Huffington Post Arts & Culture
Home & Antiques BBC
WORKS ARE COLLECTED, SHOWN COMMISSIONED & AWARDED
Venice Biennale 2019, CA
Orange County Museum of Art, CA
Laguna Museum of Art, CA
California State Senate Contemporary Art Collection, CA
Museo Area Archeologica Arte Contemporanea, Cisterino Puglia, Italy
Swire HQ, Hong Kong
Kite Pharma Gilead, CA
Milbank Tweed Hadley Mc Cloy LLP International Law Firm, Los Angeles
Constellation Place, LLC, CA
Cerebral Palsy Alliance, Sydney
Kaiser Permanente Hospital, CA
What do you think is the goal or mission that drives your creative journey?
I often joke, “if you are a real artist you may have periods of remission but it is terminal”. What I mean by that, is that you will only get so far away from your practice. I’ve been disillusioned a few times over the years with the path. At times it might seem very unrewarding. I started a Web-design company a few years back as a method to get away from being an artist but was strangely forced back into making art again. This did not occur pleasantly but instead through a lawsuit that was not our fault and was unnecessarily stressful. The experience catalyzed me to move on from the company and dive freshly back into making art again. immediately my career seemed to jump to another level and gained momentum. This has happened more than once and seems to be an integral part of the process of growth and the journey; doubting, questioning, moving away from, and then re-entering. One hopes this process, this trajectory also imbues and improves the work, and deepens your vision.moving away from, and then re-entering. One hopes this process, this trajectory also imbues and improves the work, and deepens your vision.
What’s a lesson you had to unlearn and what’s the backstory?
I’m still trying to learn that hard work, the completion and production of works, irrespective of the time and expense put in, does not equal or equate to reward or validation. your efforts often do not correlate with financial recompense. I’m trying to learn that the creative process is its own reward and nothing else is guaranteed. It should and can be enough! It can feel like a lonely process that is not aligned with the normal work practices of time worked equals financial reward etc.
- Website: https://www.jeremykidd.com
- Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/jeremy_kiddphoto/
- Linkedin: https://www.linkedin.com/in/jeremy-kidd-2734a51a/
- Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCRTM2_hM9ZOJ-LBlzzOplQA
- Other: JK GOOGLE LINKS http://www.jeremykidd.com/ https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeremy_Kidd?wprov=sfti1 https://www.kcrw.com/culture/shows/art-talk/jeremy-kidd-at-leslie-sacks-contemporary https://artillerymag.com/lancaster-museum-art-history-jeremy-kidd/ http://sdvoyager.com/interview/meet-jeremy-kidd-jeremy-kidd-venice-ca-90291/ Instagram jeremy_kiddphoto https://www.shattogallery.com/urban-paradise https://www.washingtonpost.com/archive/lifestyle/2000/12/23/alien-invasion-ufo-inspired-art-lands-at-colorado-gallery/88153c56-17f8-4d67-b1b5-7b03e311f823/ https://www.theartnewspaper.com/news/intersect-21 https://www.linkedin.com/in/jeremy-kidd-2734a51a/ https://www.pinterest.com/LeslieSacksGallery/jeremy-kidd/ https://www.jacksonholefineartfair.com/jeremykidd-photographer-of-the-year-2019/ https://art.state.gov/personnel/jeremy_kidd/ https://www.nytimes.com/1998/10/25/nyregion/art-review-abstract-painting-though-not-entirely.html http://www.diplomatmagazine.nl/2016/10/06/kidd-the-city/ https://www.ldep.co/new-blog/2016/2/19/desert-storm https://diplomatmagazine.eu/2016/10/06/kidd-the-city/ https://vimeo.com/17456332 https://www.artsy.net/artist/jeremy-kidd/works-for-sale http://www.imagogalleries.com/artist_Jeremy_Kidd.html https://www.tangentart.com/artist/jeremy-kidd/ http://www.lesliesacks.com/artists/jeremy-kidd/biography https://www.bitcoingallery.com/kidd https://artandcakela.com/2017/01/24/the-british-invasion-at-moah/ https://ucrarts.ucr.edu/Exhibition/Jeremy-Kidd http://www.i-on-the-arts.com/2013/07/interview-conversation-with-jeremy-kidd.html https://feelathomeinthehague.com/kidd-city-temporary-exhibition-panorama-mesdag/ https://www.thearthouseglobal.com/post/jeremy-kidd-alive-in-the-universe-venice-biennale-2019 https://www.lancastermoah.org/green-revolution http://www.photomediaonline.com/features-stories/landscape-photography/itemlist/tag/Jeremy%20Kidd.feed http://www.artnet.com/artists/jeremy-kidd/biography https://abbotkinneyfirstfridays.com/venice-artist-jeremy-kidd-starts-a-green-revolution-with-art-the-urban-landscape/ https://www.cirrusgallery.com/exhibitions https://www.accelevents.com/e/jhfaf/A/JEK https://www.thearthouseglobal.com/post/jeremy-kidd-constellation-place-commission https://www.edwardcella.com/exhibition/90/exhibition_works/2338 https://wsimag.com/art/3481-jeremy-kidd https://www.sfweekly.com/tag/jeremy-kidd/ http://simonekussatz-arete.blogspot.com/2019/10/steckbrief-jeremy-kidd.html https://www.askart.com/artist/Jeremy_Kidd/11225790/Jeremy_Kidd.aspx https://www.mutualart.com/Exhibition/Jeremy-Kidd–Temporal-Excursions/D7F6D2E259F7EBC0 https://www.lbcc.edu/node/6157 https://www.cynthiabyrnes.com/gallery/?swoof=1&product_artist=jeremy-kidd https://mpefm.com/mpefm/usa-art-press-release/1552-museum-of-art-and-history-moah-lancaster-ca-green-revolution-jeremy-kidd.html https://www.pinterest.cl/pin/209276713904829197/ https://www.pinterest.cl/pin/303078249894901494/ https://www.jhnewsandguide.com/special/fall_arts_festival/fine-art-fair-joins-fall-arts-festival/article_d5457474-8125-5269-8203-ba643738adaf.html https://www.theagencyre.com/blog/2015-05-agencys-paul-lester-art-ways-host-art-soiree/ https://www.mutualart.com/Exhibition/Jeremy-Kidd–Temporal-Excursions/D7F6D2E259F7EBC0 VIDEO LINKS https://vimeo.com/525217347 https://vimeo.com/525218173 https://vimeo.com/525221080 TEMPORAL EXCURSIONS AN ERIC MIHN SWENSON FILM FILM BY ERIC MINH SWENSON 01-JUL-2013 FICTIONAL REALITIES DOCUMENTARY TRAILER PRODUCED BY ROBERT ADANTO & ALEXANDER RYDELL 01-DEC-2010 KCRW ART TALK REVIEW WITH HUNTER DROHOJOWSKA-PHILP 11-JUL-2013