We were lucky to catch up with Bre’Unsha Chandler recently and have shared our conversation below.
Hi Bre’Unsha, thanks for joining us today. Crazy stuff happening is almost as certain as death and taxes – it’s technically “unexpected” but something unexpected happening is to be expected and so can you share a crazy story with our readers
Life as a hairstylist during the pandemic. So as we know, there was plenty of free money to help many small businesses succeed. Most of the business owners were able to be successful with the help of the PPP loan, and of course I applied being a small business owner whom met all the qualifications to receive funding. I was asked to submit so many documents and I did just that, for some reason god didn’t see fit for me, and unfortunately I was denied. But that didn’t STOP ME, I tried SBA as well and unfortunately I was also denied. I couldn’t wrap my head around why I kept being denied, because I indeed met all the specific qualifications to receive funding. Now at this point I became discouraged, honestly I didn’t know which way to go or what to do to keep my business going, but I knew GOD had something bigger for me and my business, all I had to do was wait on his timing and I did just that. I learned that consistency was key, although I had no help along the way I kept my spirit uplifted and trusted in god. I began promoting my business more and getting more creative with my craft. this included all social sites, I even started creating content on TikTok “I had no idea what I was doing on TIKTOK. As I was going through my journey I decided to inspire others as I was motivating myself. The video went viral overnight. That right there was my confirmation that I can do all things through Christ whom strengthens me! only you can hold you back! Girl Get Up!!!
As always, we appreciate you sharing your insights and we’ve got a few more questions for you, but before we get to all of that can you take a minute to introduce yourself and give our readers some of your back background and context?
I’ve always love doing hair I would play with my dolls hair, I would cut it, I’ll roll it with one of my moms rollers. I’ll do all sorts of things to it at 6 years old. By the time I was 12 I knew hair doing was my passion. At 14 I started doing all my school friends hair, then their moms hair and clients just started coming. When I was 20 I started my cosmology courses at Navarro college in my hometown where I grew up in Corsicana Texas. I’ve now been licensed for 10 years with my own salon “Eunice Hair Macarize”
How did you build your audience on social media?
Using social media, I upload pictures and videos of hairstyles I’ve designed and promote the location and prices of my services. In the past two years, I estimate that 70% of new clients I’ve welcomed contacted me after seeing my social media content. The other 30% come from referrals. I prioritize close relationships with my clients, so I know about their family members or friends who may be interested in visiting the salon. I distribute business cards and brochures about my work, which convinces new clients to book appointments.”
What’s been the most effective strategy for growing your clientele?
Building your clientele takes consistency, hard work and most importantly prayer and customer service.